Thursday, April 19, 2012

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies




So, I have a confession to make. Even though I have been baking for years and years, and have made countless recipes, I have only made chocolate chip cookies maybe 5 times. Ever. And another thing...they are not my fave. Gasp! But they are 1 of like 2 desserts that my husband actually likes. (I know- I always have cakes/brownies/pies on my counter...I am selfish.) But I decided that he deserves to have the treats he enjoys as much as I do. So I started baking some chocolate chip cookies.

First, I used a "tried and true" recipe that is very popular.
They came out flaaaaat.

So then I used a "no fail" recipe that solved any cookie problem you could face.
They came out flat. (Notice, not as many "a's." They looked a little better, but still flat.)

Then I came across a recipe featured in the NY times that gave a lot of helpful hints. And I discovered that:
a. Apparantley, it is an exact science to make the perfect chocolate chip cookie. You have to be a flippin' chemist! Greeeeeaaat! I failed chemistry.
b. It helps to weigh your ingredients, instead of measuring. Turns out, my measuring cups measure about 2 oz. small! Good to know!
c. Do not, do not, do not overmix your dough! Mixing in the chocolate chips before you add the flour mixture really helps!

Those were my main problems. Also, this recipe calls for bread and cake flour instead of all-purpose. Apparantley the proteins in these flours react differently to the sugars and liquids and help make the cookie puff up. Bleh-more chemistry!!

Well, to make a short story long, I finally made the perfect chocolate chip cookie. Again, cookies are not my fave, but I did get many compliments on them, so I hope you enjoy them too!

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from : TidyMom
  • 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour
  • 1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) brown sugar
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temp
  • 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 pounds semi-sweet chocolate
  • Sea salt

Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Lightly whisk, then sift. Using electric mixer with paddle attatchment, cream butter and sugars until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Add chocolate chips and mix to combine. Add flour mixture and mix until barely combined, 5-10 seconds. Cover tightly, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.

Heat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. For large cookies, use 3 oz. of dough (about 4 Tbsp.) and roll into ball. Make sure you leave enough room for them to spread out. My baking sheet could only hold about 4 large cookies. Bake for 18-20 minutes. For small cookies, roll 1 Tbsp. dough into balls. Bake about 8-10 minutes. When they are done baking, take them out of the oven and leave on baking sheet for at least 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.

Pin It!

No comments: